Sunday, February 5, 2012

One year




While pondering my month of not buying clothes, I came across the blog of a girl who wore only one dress for a whole year (www.onedressprotest.com).  It made me start thinking, "Is my one month enough?"  I was telling a friend at church this morning that I was thinking about extending my moratorium on clothing purchases to a year.  As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I knew I had to do it. 

I have to admit that on the way home from church my brain started thinking about all of the items I might want this year.  Could I start after I buy a new pair of jeans?  What about my running shoes that are about to wear out?  What if I get invited to something for which I don't have the appropriate attire?  And I thought about all of the fun places I am going in the next few months - New York, Las Vegas, Palm Springs.  I was really looking forward to the shopping.

However, under all of those frantic thoughts is an excitement in my gut.  Instead of feeling restricted by the prospect of not buying clothes for a year, I feel more free.  I'm relieved of the decision about whether to buy this or that.  I can spend all my shopping time on other pursuits.  I can use that money for something bigger than myself.  I am interested to see how my perspective on fashion and style will change in the next year.  I really want my life to say "The Lord has provided", and how can it say that if I am constantly filling it with more than I need?  So, here we go...


"You gave abundant showers, O God; you refreshed your weary inheritance.  Your people settled in it, and from your bounty, O God, you provided for the poor."  Psalm 68:9,10




*In full disclosure, I am going to continue sewing, which may include some clothes for myself.  Sewing feels very different to me than shopping, so (for now) I do not consider buying fabric and sewing clothes the same thing as buying clothes.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

that's awesome, Meredith! I look forward to hearing how that affects your year. I'm sure it will be a challenge, but thankfully you have nice things already.